Maternity expenses incurred after 12 months of continuous paid membership are generally shareable with the KNEW community. Shareable maternity needs include expenses for prenatal care, delivery, postnatal care, miscarriage, and congenital conditions. Bills for all pregnancy and birth-related complications of the mother will be shared as part of the maternity need. Routine postnatal care of the child, including no more than one routine outpatient doctor visit, will also be part of the mother's maternity need.
All maternity Needs are subject to a $5,000 Initial Unshareable Amount (IUA) regardless of the IUA that was elected during annual enrollment.
Here are some other important things to note about maternity Needs:
- The $5000 maternity IUA will be reduced to $500 for home births. Additionally, home births are not subject to prorating because they significantly reduce overall maternity costs
- The $5000 maternity IUA will be reduced by 50% for utilizing a birthing center. Your Member Services Representative can assist in locating quality birthing centers within a reasonable distance of the member’s home.
- A KNEW member’s maternity IUA will be reduced by 50% for a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC).
- Non-emergency/elective Cesarean section deliveries have a total IUA of $7,500.
- Medical needs resulting from miscarriages will revert to the member’s standard IUA.