Members are encouraged to ask their medical providers to bill them for medical services received. For smaller bills, office visits and the like, providers may require payment at time of service. We advise our Members to avoid paying more than their selected IUA (Initial Unshareable Amount) toward the cost of any medical need, as doing so dilutes our Medical Cost Sharing Partner’s ability to negotiate fair prices with medical providers. In cases where Members pay more than their IUA, the community will share the excess amount back to the Member. There are occasions that warrant upfront sharing, but these are limited and extremely rare. The most prominent example of pre-payment is with maternity cases.
Articles in this section
- Is there any time limitation on sharing a medical Need?
- Are mental health needs shareable?
- Are prescription costs considered a shareable need?
- Are my monthly shares a pre-tax deduction like health insurance premiums?
- Is surrogacy a shareable need?
- Can there be multiple needs during one pregnancy?
- What if I have a medical need that is not shareable?
- Are maternity needs that occur prior to membership or in the first 12 months of member shareable with the community?
- How are maternity needs shared?
- Don't I have to have health insurance? Isn't there a penalty to pay if I don't?